Monday, September 18, 2006

What price health?

In between panic attacks over the (pointlessly) complex and convoluted income tax equations that I am supposed to know, Michael and I came across an interesting program on KCTS over the weekend. It was a doctor who had taken four years and over a million dollars in research to study what people can do to decrease the aging of their bodies. It was interesting and believable, and it focused mainly on heart health, diet and nutrition and exercise. Michael and I were very intrigued by it, and we decided that we would like to purchase some of the literature. It was a very exciting decision for us, since it was the first time that we had contributed to a public broadcasting corporation, of which we are both big fans. At the same time, it was somewhat unnerving that I was choosing to spend my dollars at this junction, give that KCTS had some programming featuring my favorite artist and future husband Dave Matthews a couple of months ago. I was enraptured. The pricing structure was something like: for $50 you could get an autographed t-shirt; for $500 you could get front row tickets to one of his concerts; for $5,000 he would meet you for a couple of hours at the Fairmont Hotel. Damnit! Why did I go to part time? I knew money was good for something… Anyways, on the health front Michael wanted to buy the DVD. I said no, I didn’t want to have to pop in a DVD every time I wanted to reference some health tip. I wanted the mythical third tier, which included the DVD and two books for $275. Michael was apoplectic, sputtering about $275, US dollars, exorbitant shipping and handling. I asked him, given the frivolity with which we spend inordinate amounts on Nike gear in the pursuit of physical betterment, what price one should put on their health. To which he answered firmly, $75 US. Well fine. I will buy the all-encompassing health package. And I will rent Michael the DVD at $6 a day. And should he fail to return said DVD to me by noon the following day, it is deemed that he has rented it for another day. And I will get a GST number and charge him GST, and I will account for all of my dealings with him using complicated income tax equations.
One of the good tips that I learned while watching KCTS, was that as long as you are getting the appropriate level of calcium (and are not prone to migraine headaches or heart palpitations as a result of imbibing too much coffee) you can drink as much coffee as you want! I am so happy! I hope that the same principal applies to Tinhorn Creek’s 2002 Cabernet Franc. Very delectable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home