Friday, September 01, 2006

No water

Though this week’s water shortage in Tofino may be more attributable to that area’s geography, coupled with a relatively dry summer, the notion that a Canadian town has run out of water is a significantly scary one. A harbinger of things to come, perhaps?
Though I do have a lot of faith in mankind… no wait - the crusades, the holocaust, the potato famine, AIDS stricken Africa, illiteracy, homelessness, violence against women, homophobia – let me rephrase that. Though usually, when I squint and look through my rose-tinted glasses, I find that a large segment of the population should be allowed to procreate, I still am perturbed by our ignorance and apathy towards the world in which we live. I don’t want this to be a negative, downer blog and yet I do wish to share with you my incredulity regarding stupendous things that I see daily – even though I have my blinders on!
To revisit the water issue: why do people water their lawns? I mean, do these folks think that there is such an abundance of clean water that they can justify dumping massive quantities of it in their front yard? That’s got to stop. We need to start xeriscaping: using water conserving means of landscaping (www.xeriscape.org). Don’t flush the toilet every single time you pee. Shower with a friend. Turn off the taps while you’re brushing your teeth. Don’t use disposable wooden stir sticks for your coffee (though I’m not sure how to get around this, short of sticking your finger into scalding cappuccinos to mix in the sugar). Don’t use a coffee sleeve: searing hand pain can complement the ingestion of caffeine to aid in alertness. Use Tupperware. Get some cloth bags for your groceries.
Some interesting statistics per the Sierra Club (www.sierraclub.org): on average, one American consumes as much energy as 2.1 Germans; 12.1 Columbians; 28.9 Indians; 127 Haitians; 395 Ethiopians. By 2025 3 billion people will have to deal with water scarcity (currently it affects more than 508 million).
Of course we shouldn’t conserve too much. An overabundance of water in addition to increasingly profitable oil sands will inevitably lead to a US invasion of Canada, as they search our populace for WMDs like free thought, free speech, liberalism, gay marriages, pot, good beer and polite manners. To quote Andy Barrie, from my beloved CBC: “We'll explain the appeal of curling to you if you explain the appeal of the National Rifle Association to us.”
And that, my readers, is how you start off a blog on the topic of water conservation, and end up teeming with nationalism.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home