Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Something that is cool

I like the “I saw you” section of the Georgia Straight. You know, the section where people write in things like: “You sat next to me on the #16 with your messy blonde hair and super cool nose piercing. I wanted to ask your name but your steely (vaguely terrifying) demeanor led me to believe you might break my fingers. Can we meet?”. I think this is far more entertaining and romantic than online dating. I’m sure one could get on any packed bus at rush hour and say “Who’s on lavalife?” and a quarter of the bus would raise their hands, and yet no one talks to anyone. What’s with that? As JupiterGirl says: “I’m going to put on my curious hat” (when she first said this I thought there was a literal hat that she would put on, indicating her curiosity in another human being).
What has made Vancouver’s single population so skittish that we can only talk face to face with one another after a certain internet “buffer” period has been exhausted? Kudos to anyone that has ever gone up to someone and said “hey”. I feel bad for anyone that I might have rebuffed in the past, because clearly I did not understand how difficult it must be. It is so, so much easier to look at your feet and avoid eye contact.
But back to the “I saw you” section: it is also kind of sad. How many people have put ads in this section and have had the object of their affection not read it? It’s a bit heartbreaking, really. And I have other questions, such as: do people post numerous ads in here? Like, every time they see an attractive person do they post an ad in this section? And do the wrong people ever respond to these ads? How does that work? The person shows up for coffee and the other person like, “Uh, no. The girl I was chatting with last time was good looking”. That could be painful.
But overall I like this section. I think it would be quite flattering to have been mentioned in this area of the Straight versus, say, being mentioned negatively in the “Savage Love” portion. Maybe by putting my “curious hat” on and making more of an effort to not focus on my shoes so studiously, I may at some point be mentioned here. And not in a finger-breaking kind of context…

1 Comments:

Blogger Mama Bear said...

I actually have placed an ad in the 'I saw you section'. When I worked for the Bux, the object of my affection, Silver Fox, was talking to me one day how he always reads them, and one day he was actually in there, and went to meet this girl who 'had no vices', so one date was all they had. I wanted to cry out 'My life is a vice', but instead I submitted my own I Saw You, that was perhaps too cryptic for him to know what I was talking about, fore he never mentioned it. It was hot.

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home