Monday, July 09, 2007

A bit of a down day


Well, today was the last day of my stint volunteering at the SPCA. It was really kind of bittersweet. As you may know I'm not the most outgoing or social person (unless I know you well, and then I can be hard to shut up) and one of the reasons I volunteered at the SPCA was to be more social. So of course today would be the day where I had lunch with a bunch of people and contributed to the conversation. And later on in the day I had coffee with a few people. It was nice talking to them and getting to know them better. I guess I should have tried harder in the beginning: they were all great people to get to know. And I came to the realization that the people that work for non profit organizations are markedly different from those in the private sector. They're concerned about the environment, they seem health conscious, they're maybe a bit more sensitive. The organization is flatter, less hierarchical. I bet that if you did a survey of people that worked for NPOs versus for profit orgs you would find that the NPO people are more positive, philosophical and concerned about the world in which they live. I just got such an incredible vibe from these people. I know it sounds New Age and flaky, but they really did help me in my quest to be a better person. The woman that I had worked for the most lamented my leaving and said that I had helped her out tremendously. I felt that they gave me more than I gave them. I felt sad to leave! It was incredible. I hope I get the opportunity to fit volunteering back into my life. Perhaps after I'm done my marathon training. At any rate, volunteering was definitely the feel good story of my year so far.
Came home. Napped in the park. I love napping in the park, except I keep waking up fitfully, afraid that someone's going to steal my... I dunno, shoes. Went for a run. Um, it was really friggin' hot. I like the way I don't sweat a whole lot when I run, and then when I come into my apartment my system is still hammering away and all this sweat starts jettisoning from my body and streaming off my nose as I bend down to unlace my shoes. What's with that? It's almost comical. Tomorrow's supposed to be 33, so I'll have to take water. Or chase down an ice cream truck.
Anyways. Feeling a little down that my time at the SPCA has come to an end. But I think I will try and be more social at the running clinic. They are also very nice, supportive, positive and encouraging people and I'm sure I can better my experience by putting myself out there instead of cowering near the sock wall.
I do need new running socks though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home