Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Island hopping

My mom drove my brother to my apartment on Saturday morning. He was supposed to take the bus from South Surrey, but she drove him to Vancouver and dropped him off at my place at 9am. Man. Where's the love? Oh yeah, Michael did drive from North Van to Tswassen to pick me up a while ago. Okay, so there's some love there.
So the trip was good. I am a spoiled brat. How many people can say that, while they were playing tennis (on their private tennis court) the ball sailed over the fence and... into the water (cause it's waterfront), and said ball had to be retrieved via kayak? Yeah, sucks to be me. Got in some kayaking, went running a few times, played some tennis, played some chess, drank some beer and wine (okay, drank a lot of beer and wine), finished reading High Fidelity, smoked a joint and laughed uproariously as my brother told me about some show called "Aqua Teen Hunger Force" that I have to watch. There is a character on it called Hand Banana. I'm straight right now, and it still seems funny.
Lasqueti is so beautiful. It will be a very sad day when I can no longer go there. It has such a calming, focusing effect on me. How can you be unhappy when you're gazing out onto the Pacific Ocean, listening to the sound of the wind rustling the arbutus tree leaves while ravens, hawks and eagles soar overhead. A nice retreat, a nice way to re-charge one's batteries, and a nice opportunity to do a little more self exploration. This is, after all, the year of Duder's self-exploration you know!
Oh, and we went for dinner at the restaurant on Lasqueti, which we have done in years and years. It was quite a treat. Our waiter was... um.... really relaxed and groovy. I think he was actually swaying a little as he took our orders (no doubt to some really far out music that only he could hear). The best part was when he struggled in vain to open the umbrella to shield us from the sun and he just couldn't get it open and my brother had to finally chirp, "Um, I think you need to take the ring off to get the umbrella up". See, there was a plastic ring that was slid halfway down the umbrella to keep it tightly closed and... well, you get the picture. Our waiter was vegetarian (surprise!), so it was really great when my dad asked him which was better: the cow burger or the chicken burger.
Caught the shuttle down island today with my brother continuing on to Duke Point (and of course my mom picking him up in Tswassen). I went to visit my friends S and D and their son M again. I was really excited to hear that I get my own bed this time! No fold out couch for this girl! S's aunt and uncle dropped by and we had a fabulous East Indian dinner and then watched M (who is now 15 months) repeatedly show his stomach and kiss people's knees. Very affectionate boy. I haven't had a good knee kiss in ages!
Then D offered to go pick out a movie. He said that he would call us from the video store, but didn't. This was his first mistake. He brought home a movie called "Gray Matter". S asked, "is it subtitled?" and I professed I had never heard of it. D gave me a quick synopsis: a brother and sister fall for the same woman. I coughed politely into my hand; "B movie!". And then had to explain what a B movie was. Look, I love Tom Cavanagh. Like, a lot. I saw him on 4th Avenue once, and it was the closest thing to having sex in a public place as I'll ever get. He's so hot. But let's face it: he is a B actor. As is Heather Graham. As was the plot. But we all endeavored to give it an honest try. This honest try degenerated when I would simply shoot a glance in D's direction (say, when the lesbian couple are dancing some Fred and Ginger routine in their living room, or perhaps it was when they had a bath together... or maybe it was when one girl was too drunk to get out of her clothing so the other offered to do it for her and then I started asking when the pizza guy was going to come and make a "special delivery") and he would mutter "fuck off" to me. I'm not sure I will be invited back. The long and short of this movie? One of the girls was wearing panties that seemed to go too high up her back, thereby giving an impression that she had a wedgy. Oh yeah, and it's totally implausible that any siblings in their late thirties would live together and love each other. Dude, I just spent five days with my bro and I tried to drown him twice and light him on fire.
Tomorrow I head home. Meeting up with Michael at Park Royal for dinner tomorrow night, then ramping up for another exciting weekend where I do too much, eat and drink too much, contemplate not going to the running clinic on Sunday but end up getting up at a ridiculous time to do it anyways. And oh yeah, I'm meeting B for dinner on Friday night. S wouldn't say much except shake her head repeatedly and suggest at least three times that I'm a masochist. This may be true, but everyone needs a hobby. And besides, if I didn't go, what the hell would I blog about?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home